Manual Handling Training Courses
Back in Shape is COPE’s nationwide Manual Handling training programme based on the latest research into effective manual handling training. The course covers all the key theoretical issues, but also includes a practical session where delegates apply their knowledge to their own workplace tasks.
- Tailored to suit you whether it is from an office or within construction.
- Back In Shape training lasts 2 to 3 hours, including a practical session hosted in the actual workplace to instruct operators on how the theory applies to their every day work tasks.
- Theoretical training on the anatomy and physiology of the spine and why using good manual handling really matters.
- All courses hosted by a qualified Ergonomist.
'AREVA T&D UK Limited have implemented the Back in Shape programme and have seen extremely positive results. Musculoskeletal
related sickness absence has reduced significantly and staff involved in the scheme appreciate the assistance provided.'
– Steve Cook, National H&S Director, Areva T&D UK
|On Site Manual Handling Training (BACK IN SHAPE)|
|Delegates:||Min 4 - Max 20.|
|Objectives:||To develop an awareness of the structure and use of upper limbs, backs and bodies during manual handling activities. Apply the idea of BELT (Body/Behaviour/ Load/Task) to identifying and reducing risk related to these in the workplace.|
|Practical:||Interactive session in the employees workplace where they identify risks ("Seeing Red!") and see for themselves how to reduce those risks ("Going Green!").|
|Assessment:||Written tests and certificates of attendance are available if required. (There is no legal obligation to include a test).|
|Cost:||£495 per course including booklets + expenses + VAT.|
What do I get?
Our course is based on the latest research and covers all the key knowledge areas, including;
- What Manual Handling is and how the law applies to the workplace
- The Structure and function of the spine and how your health can adversely affected by poor manual handling
- The principles that safe manual handling is based upon
- Using the BELT risk assessment method to quickly and effectively make tasks safer and easier to do
- Applying these new skills to actual tasks performed every day at home and at work
We can also provide Training certificates, written tests and course feedback
COPE can also produce bespoke manual handling training videos to cover any specific working methods that you may require. COPE can also offer Manual Handling Audits and Manual Handling Train the Trainer if external expertise is required.
Why carry out Manual Handling Training?
All employers have a legal obligation to reduce the risk of injuries to their employees, and musculoskeletal disorders (MSDs) are one of the most common workplace injuries. An effective manual handling training programme is therefore a crucial component in any overall risk reduction strategy. The risk of increased sickness absence and costly litigation means that the programme has to be of the highest quality.
When should I carry out Manual Handling Training?
All employees should receive manual handling training at the beginning of their employment period, but periodic refresher training is also highly advisable. Toolbox talks and regular training reviews can also be used to refresh staff knowledge on correct lifting and handling methods. Formal training should be provided every two to three years.
COPE have provided bespoke Manual Handling solutions to several companies in a wide variety of industries. COPE regularly contribute to expert panels and research by the HSE and HSL and have experts in the fields of Workplace Ergonomics, Occupational Physiotherapy and Occupational Health that can address any customer concerns with regards to Manual handling. We can offer Manual Handling Training across the UK including Scotland, London, Birmingham & Manchester.